Here are 7 etiquette tips on how to be a good house guest:
- If you are sick, promptly cancel the visit and be sure to thank your host.
- Take a small gift. This thoughtful gesture means a lot to the person you are visiting. If you take flowers, be sure to bring them in a vase. A better choice might be a plant.
- Look around and notice, with appreciation, anything the host has done to make your visit pleasant. A thoughtful host will perhaps have fresh flowers in your guest room, or they may have spruced up the house and garden especially for your visit. It’s nice to have that acknowledged.
- If you have food allergies, by all means, let your host know in advance. Other than that don’t be a picky – finicky eater.
- A nice gesture is to take your host out for a meal or two during your stay.
- Limit your stay to 3-5 days. My old Irish Mom used to say, “Company is like fish. After 3 days it starts to smell.”
- Send a thank you note immediately after your visit. Even though you have thanked them before, still send a hand written note.
So go ahead, accept that invitation, and feel confident that you will be welcomed back.
By Lois Jamieson
Want to learn more etiquette tips? Then you’ll want to read: