Today we honor Martin Luther King with a Federal holiday. In reading through the 100’s of Martin Luther King quotes for my top 12, found a similarity to several of the StarShine15 Guiding Principles.
StarShine focuses on principles and not rules as part of the culture. It has made a huge difference in how the students behave and in what motivates them. For the complete list of all the StarShine Guiding Principles go to:
1. “I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident that all men are created equal.”
2. “Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”
3. “Love is somehow the key that unlocks the door which leads to ultimate reality.”
StarShine Guiding Principle #15 – World peace is a result of individual peace.
4. “I have decided to love. If you are seeking the highest good, I think you can find it through love. And the beautiful thing is that we are moving against wrong when we do it, because John was right, God is love.”
StarShine Guiding Principle #8 – Practice Connect versus Convince; Exercise Compassion versus Judgment, Love versus Fear.
5. “A man who won’t die for something is not fit to live.”
6. “Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better.”
7. “At the center of non-violence stands the principle of love.”
8. “Every man must decide whether he will walk in the light of creative altruism or in the darkness of destructive selfishness.” StarShine Guiding Principle #1 – Every person born is unique and perfect and on their own road to discovering their dreams and highest calling.
9. “Whatever affects one directly, affects all indirectly. I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality.”
StarShine Guiding Principle #2 – We are on the planet to help one another toward achieving individual goals for the Greater Good of All.
10. “Whatever your life’s work is, do it well. A man should do his job so well that the living, the dead, and the unborn could do it no better.”
11. “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.”
12. “Never, never be afraid to do what’s right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society’s punishments are small compared to wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way.”
If you enjoyed these quotes, you’ll want to read: