1. In 1916, President Woodrow Wilson issued a presidential proclamation establishing June 14 as a National Flag Day. Why June 14?
2. Who officially adopted the United States Flag on June 14, 1777?
3. How many equal horizontal stripes of red and white are on the flag?
4. What is a common nickname for the flag of the United States?
5. Who was the first person to use the nickname?
1. Simply because our flag was born on June 14, 1777
2. The Second Continental Congress
4. “Old Glory”
5. William Driver, an early 29th century American sea captain.
We know you didn’t cheat, so here is your reward – some patriotic quotes:
“Democracy means, not, “I am equal to you”, but, “you are equal to me.”
“America is the only country deliberately founded on a good idea.”
John Gunther, American Author
“Patriotism is not a frenzied outburst of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.”
Adlai Stevenson, American Statesman
Join us as we celebrate National Flag Day by honoring the United States Flag
By Lois Jamieson
If you enjoyed this post about National Flag Day, you’ll want to read: